Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Whats the Difference of Trading Mini Lots Vs. Full-sized Lots

abdulla1

In Forex trading there is something called, a Mini Account, and it uses a different leverage calculation than a regular (100k) account. This is, instead of trading full-size currency lots (100,000 units), you?ll trade in lots that are just 1/10 the size (10,000 currency units), which in turn greatly reduces your risk. Pips in a Mini Account are worth, on average, $1 instead of the $8 to $10 value they have in a regular account. The Mini Forex account offers up to 200:1 leverage, this means that just a $50 margin deposit will allow you to trade lots worth roughly $10,000 , but the smaller lot sizes, with correspondingly smaller pip values, means that you?ll be assuming less total risk. For example, while a 20-pip loss on a 100,000 USD/JPY position would be $200, the same loss on a 10,000 USD/JPY position in a Mini account would amount to $20.

Here you have an overview of leverage (Margin, Account Size) on each of the two accounts discussed above:

100K (Regular Full-sized Account)

- Minimum required account deposit = $2,000

- Recommended required account deposit = $5,000 to $10,000

- Traded in 100,000-unit currency lots

- Default Margin: set at 1% ($1,000 per lot)

- Leverage = 100:1 or 50:1 (if margin is set at 2%)

Mini Account

- Minimum required account deposit = $300

- Recommended required account deposit = $2,000

- Traded in 10,000-unit currency lots

- Default Margin: set at 0.5% ($50 per mini-lot)

- Leverage = 200:1

There is no downside to trading a mini account , you will be still enjoying all the benefits that full-size FX account holders enjoy; including, same state-of-the art trading software, charts, resources, and tools, etc. This mini accounts are ideal for a new Forex trader to develop a disciplined, rational forex trading strategy without excessively focusing on profits and losses.

Also there is no maximum trade volume when you use a mini account. Although the standard trade size is 10,000 units, you are not limited to trading one lot. For instance, you can trade 10,000 units, 50,000 units or 200,000 units. This means as you become more seasoned and build up confidence you can slowly increase the size of your positions to maximize profits. In fact the trade size of 10,000 units allows for more flexibility in terms of customizing the size of your trade. The ability to customize the size of the trade allows you to have a better risk management.

With less capital at risk in a Mini FX account, it is easier for you to develop a disciplined trading methodology, as well as the confidence needed to be a successful currency trader, without the anxiety and distractions that come with large Profit and Lose swings

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i think that those full sized lots are only for big companies or people who have large amoutn of money to trade and like those who are trading with a group. but for individual traders i think that mini lot is more than enough. and yes it is dangerous for us small traders to trade in big lot . better stick with small lots.

I don't too much know, but I think Full Size Lot is account for traders who didn't need leverage pr they used leverage 1:1

Surely it will need huge amount of capitals and only few people who could do that. Mini lot is used by retail trader who used

leverage.

I don't too much know, but I think Full Size Lot is account for traders who didn't need leverage pr they used leverage 1:1

Surely it will need huge amount of capitals and only few people who could do that. Mini lot is used by retail trader who used

leverage.

I also think if full size lot is for trader who trading without help from leverage facility. or same with use 1:1 leverage.

or in other word, use big contract and 1 lot same with 100,000.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i also prefer mini lot size and always trade with mini lots because of low amount and i think use full lot size is sometime risky and obviously not good for newbie trader if they have big capital also. anway its true many trader used full lot size but then they also have much experience and also big capital in their trading account.

• 3 weeks later...

Though it's a repeat matter, I think our way of thinking should be to move low to high. So I suggest you to never join this type of forex broker. Because $2000+; even $300 is too high or risky for any without know any broker status. Big amount is good for more profit but also a change of fool. So need to start any new site not more than $100.

Well as much i understand mini lots are 1/10 size of a lot i mean there are 10 mini lots in a full size lot

And so trading in mini lot allows those to trade in forex market who do not have huge capital - so they can take advantage of forex market playing with mini lots

There are also brokers allowing trade in micro lots which is equalent to .01 lot such brokers require very little amount to start e.g. 1-10$ starting capital.

Mini trade are use by someone who don't really have a big capital or also by novice that still try to learn on forex.

So if you really want to have a good profits from forex you need to open full size lot account and also need big principal to invest but with this account you just need to make 10%-15% monthly and it is a big profits.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The lot sizes used by traders can be used to classify them. Mini lots are important to traders who are just beginning to get a foot in forex trading while those experienced traders trade with the full sized lots or the standard lots. For new traders, there is no place for these lot sizes. New traders should stick to the micro lots.

• 1 month later...

This kind of lots are used for perform different types of units. If we take any useful mini lot - then our chance will be come in splitting way. Because their are the part of a full size lot. People usually use those mini lot and broke their total units of items. By which they may able to find short items treader. Also some newcomers can take this feature for spend some part of their total money.

The lower the lot size the more chances you can survive market volatility. Right now I have 10 position in buy only and still survive without even in danger of getting get MC even though I loss about 150 pips already and since theirs 10 position just imagine the multiplicant of my loses. But still here I am surviving. Its because I trade the smallest lot as possible so that I can maintain my good free margin. Dispite of 10 open position at losing range I'm still have 300% free margin.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I think mini lots are so much better for newbie since it reduces your risk. Mini lots are also less risky for everyone. I prefer mini accounts and cents account as a new trader to get my hands wet on the forex market. I would also recommend that for new trader. I think high risk is not for the newbie. Mini lots are great for a start but it helps us relax since we are in no worry if we lose a couple of dollars. I like to lose less and its one of my strategy in money management. 

• 3 months later...

i'm sure which people full measured tons are simply for huge firms or perhaps those who have huge amount connected with dollars to be able to industry and just like people who find themselves dealing having a team. but for specific professionals i'm sure which little lot is usually plenty of. and sure it can be dangerous for us tiny professionals to be able to industry inside huge lot. far better keep with tiny tons.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for explaining it so well, I believe these are the basic stuff that beginners must know and to be able to find it from reliable source is great. I usually learn from Baby Pips where this is explained really well while for rest I depend on OctaFX broker, it has lovely facilities with low spread of 0.2 pips, high leverage up to 1.500 and excellent demo account option that help us in a really great way to learn and practice.

I think mini lots are so much better for newbie since it reduces your risk. Mini lots are also less risky for everyone. I prefer mini accounts and cents account as a new trader to get my hands wet on the forex market. I would also recommend that for new trader. I think high risk is not for the newbie. Mini lots are great for a start but it helps us relax since we are in no worry if we lose a couple of dollars. I like to lose less and its one of my strategy in money management.

Mini lots for everyone even experts,this is just the numbers difference. The target is how much money you want to make? If you want to make bigger profit, there are 2 ways. First gain bigger pips second using bigger lot size. With full sized lots you can earn $10 per pips compared to mini lots which is only $1 per pips.

Mini lots for everyone even experts,this is just the numbers difference. The target is how much money you want to make? If you want to make bigger profit, there are 2 ways. First gain bigger pips second using bigger lot size. With full sized lots you can earn $10 per pips compared to mini lots which is only $1 per pips.

It is also good to add that when targeting bigger lots, your capital is of importance too. One can only dream of very high lots with bigger trading capital because small and very little investment has a limit to the lot size they can use even though you choose a high leverage, if not, stop out becomes your next milestone.

Yes, exactly like what you said about this it is just the difference between how much lot you use, i can say 0.1 lot = mini lots, while 0.01 = micro lot, and 1 lot = full sized lots. I don't see any much different except for numbers, as long as you can use it fully and get more pips then you make more profit.

Don't care if there are much difference because what? You are the one who trade, knowing this terms also useful but does not mean it's such an everything for you. As far as i know there's also the other terms such as micro lot which is about 0.01 lot size and the nano lot which is 0.001 lot.

• 10 months later...

Don't care if there are much difference because what? You are the one who trade, knowing this terms also useful but does not mean it's such an everything for you. As far as i know there's also the other terms such as micro lot which is about 0.01 lot size and the nano lot which is 0.001 lot.

The gain is equal with the risk whatever how big or how small your trading volume is. The point is make sure that you can manage the risk. Don't take the risks that you can't even accept it.

The difference located on the size, with mini lots you trade with smaller lot size compared to full lot sized. Also to achieve a set amount of profit you need less pips with full sized lots than mini lots but with consequences that your money may lose if you suffer a loss.