Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Mistakes You Must Avoid in FX

milkymo

In the trading surroundings, when you lose a trade, what is the first idea that pops up in your mind? It would probably be, “There must be something wrong with my system”, or “I knew it, I shouldn’t have taken this trade” (even when your technique signaled it). But sometimes we must dig a small deeper in order to see the nature of our mistake, and then work on it accordingly.

When it comes to trading, one of the most neglected subjects are those dealing with trading psychology. Most traders spend days, months and even years looking for the right technique. But having a technique is part of the game. Don’t get us wrong, it is important to have a technique that perfectly suits the trader, but it is as important as having a money management plan, or to comprehend all psychology barriers that may affect the trader decisions and other issues. In order to succeed in this business, there has to be equilibrium between all important aspects of trading.

When it comes to trading the foreign exchange market as well as other markets, only 5% of traders accomplish the ultimate objective: to be consistent in profits. what is interesting though is that there is a small difference between this 5% of traders and the remainder of them. The top 5% grow from mistakes; mistakes are a learning experience, they learn an invaluable lesson on every single mistake made. Deep in their minds, a mistake is one more chance to try it harder and do it better the next time, because they know they might not get a chance the next time. and at the finish, this small difference becomes the large difference.

Mistakes in the trading environment

Most of us relate a trading mistake to the result (in terms of money) of any given trade. The truth is, a mistake has nothing to do with it, mistakes are made when sure guidelines are not followed. When the rules you trade by are violated. Take for instance the following scenarios:

First scenario: The technique signals a trade.

1. Signal taken and trade turns out to be a profitable trade.

Outcome of the trade: Positive, made money.

Experience gained: Its lovely to follow the technique, if I do this consistently the odds will turn in my favor. Confidence is gained in both the trader and the technique.

Mistake made: None.

3. Signal not taken and trade turns out to be a profitable trade.

Outcome of the trade: Neutral.

Experience gained: Frustration, the trader always seems to get in trades that turned out to be loosing trades and let the profitable trades go away. Confidence is lost in the trader self.

Mistake made: Not taking a trade when the technique signaled it.

2. Signal taken and trade turns out to be a loosing trade.

Outcome of the trade: Negative, lost money.

Experience gained: it is impossible to win every single trade, a loosing trade is part of the business; our raw material, we know we can’t get all of them right. Even with this lost trade, the trader is proud about himself for following the technique. Confidence in the trader is gained.

Mistake made: None.

4. Signal not taken and trade turns out to be a loosing trade.

Outcome of the trade: Neutral.

Experience gained: The trader will start to think “hey, I’m better than my system”. Even if the trader doesn't think on it consciously, the trader will rationalize on every signal given by the technique because deep in his or her mind, his or her “feeling” is more smart than the technique itself. From this point on, the trader will try to outguess the technique. this error has catastrophic effects on our confidence to the technique. The confidence on the trader turns in to overconfidence.

Mistake made: Not taking a trade when technique signaled it

Second Scenario: technique does not signal a trade.

1. No trade is taken

Outcome of the trade: Neutral

Experience gained: lovely discipline, we only require to take trades when the odds are in our favor, when the technique signals it. Confidence gained in both the trader self and the technique.

Mistake made: None

2. A trade is taken, turns out to be a profitable trade.

Outcome of the trade: Positive, made money.

Experience gained: this error has the most catastrophic effects in the trader self, the technique and most importantly in the trader’s trading career. You will start to think you require no technique, you know better from all of them. From this point on, you will start to trade based on what you think. Confidence in the technique is lost. Confidence in the trader self turns in to overconfidence.

Mistake made: Take a trade when there was no signal from the technique.

3. A trade is taken, turned out to be a loosing trade.

Outcome of the trade: negative, lost money.

Experience gained: The trader will rethink his strategy. The next time, the trader will think it once before getting in a trade when the technique does not signal it. The trader will go “Ok, it is better to get in the market when my technique signals it, only those trade have a higher probability of success”. Confidence is gained in the technique.

Mistake made: Take a trade when there was no signal from the system

As you can see, there is absolutely no correlation between the result of the trade and a mistake. The most catastrophic mistake even has a positive trade outcome, made money, but this might be the beginning of the finish of the trader’s career. As we have already said, mistakes must only be related to the violation of rules a trader trades by.

All these mistakes were directly related to the signals given by a technique, but the same is applied when getting out of a trade. there's also mistakes related to following a trading plan. For example, risking extra money on a given trade than the amount the trader ought to have risked and lots of more.

Most mistakes can be avoided by first having a trading plan. A trading plan includes the technique: the criteria we use to get in and out the market, the money management plan: how much we will risk on any given trade, and lots of other points. Secondly, and most important, we must have the discipline to follow strictly our plan. We created our plan when no trade was placed on, thus no psychology barriers were up front. So, the only thing we are sure about is that if we follow our plan, the decision taken is on our best interests, and in the long run, these decisions will help us have better results. We don’t must worry about isolated events, or trades that could had give us better results at first, but then they could have catastrophic ends in our trading career.

How to deal with mistakes

there's lots of feasible ways to properly manage mistakes. We will recommend the one that works better for us.

Step one: Belief change.

Every mistake is a learning experience. all of them have something valuable to offer. Try to counteract the natural tendency of feeling frustrated and approach mistakes in a positive manner. in lieu of yelling to everyone around and feeling disappointed, say to yourself “ok, I did something wrong, what happened? what is it?

Step three: Measure the consequences of the error.

List the consequences of making that particular mistake, both lovely and bad. lovely consequences are those that make us better traders after dealing with the error. think on all feasible reasons you can learn from what happened. For the same example above, what are the consequences of making that mistake? Well, in the event you don’t follow the technique, you will gradually loose confidence in it, and this at the finish will put you in to trades you don’t require to be, and out of trades you ought to be in.

Step two: Identify the error made.

Define the error, find out what caused the error, and try as hard as you can to effectively see the nature of that mistake. Finding the error nature will prevent you from making the same mistake again. over often you will find the answer where you less expected. Take for instance a trader that doesn’t follow the technique. The reason behind this might be that the trader is afraid of loosing. But then, why's they or they afraid? It could be that the trader is using a technique that does not fit him or her, and finds difficult to follow every signal. In this case, as you can see, the nature of the error is not in the surface. You require to try as hard as you can to find the actual reason of the given mistake.

Step five: Take action.

Taking proper action is the last and most important step. In order to learn, you require to change your behavior. Make sure that whatever you do, you become “this-mistake-proof”. By taking action we turn every single mistake in to a small part of success in our trading career. Continuing with the same example, redefining the technique would be the trader’s final step. The trader would put a technique that perfectly fits him or her, so the trader doesn’t find any trouble following it in future signals.

Understanding the fact that the result of any trade has nothing to do with a mistake will open your mind to other possibilities, where it is possible for you to to comprehend the nature of every mistake made. This at the same time will open the doors for your trading career as you work and take proper action on every mistake made.

The routine of success is slow, and lots of times it is attributed to repeated mistakes made and the constant struggle to get past these mistakes, working on them accordingly. How we deal with them will shape our future as a trader, and most importantly as a person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it is true that some times the techniques dont show a good signal of trade, id like to thank you for the thread since its another diferent way of looking at it from what ive been studying so far.

There really isnt a true way for what ive seen, read and practiced that brings in profits to you 100% of the time, thanks again mate;)

regards,

matiskater

Helpful thread. Even when we get free signal, it is important to cross-check to be sure there aren't loopholes to be seen. Though we may even work according to the signal, it may turn out that the signal is wrong and the trader loses out on that position.

yes i also agree with you . before depend on free signal we need some conformation by ourself before enter the market . actually i also follow some free signal but it only help me to take strong decission and when it become same to my thought i take more risk to increase my volume.

Many traders are depending on charts, indicators, and another will depend on robot forex. I think that was bad if you made decision only depend on

indicators although it's good to use indicators as your references before you made decision. It wil be better if you take a look to condition of market

too. Sometimes, the signal of indicator is not suitable in few conditions.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think, mistakes come from many factors. One, from being unprepared or trading without a plan or strategy. Second is trading without keeping in check our emotions, especially, our being impatient.

impatient

i'm totally agree with you

thats impatient make me loss 90$ in my first 2 week of trading

Wow, that's a big loss already, as far as I am concerned. To some, this may just be a small amount, but for a beginner trader like me, it can get me depressed to lose such an amount.

it make me depressed too dude

i'm just high school boy who try make my own money

but now i will learn from my own mistakes

• 2 weeks later...

it make me depressed too dude

i'm just high school boy who try make my own money

but now i will learn from my own mistakes

That's the right thing to do - learn from the mistakes of the past. And now, you are getting a lot of experience which can teach you a lot. And for me, its a good thing that you are exposed to this trade in your early age. When you get older, you will get more skilled.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of mistakes that forex traders should avoid if they want to be successful. Forex traders should avoid picking the wrong type of leverage without first considering the account balance and the experience level. This can be a very costly mistake that can cause huge losses.

• 2 years later...

There are many mistakes that we must avoid and plenty of them are something that we could avoid just  by seeing others since Forex trading is not just about learning from our own mistakes but it is also about doing it with seeing others mistake as well. We will only be professional if we build this habit of picking good from everyone.

The biggest mistake I made in my career early was to select wrong broker but thanks to my friends I corrected it by selecting OctaFX broker, they are the reason behind my success due to their famous swap free account which anyone can use without restrictions and we don’t need to be Religious person to use it but anyone can take it.

when we are has knowledge and experience, we are has ability to gain good and even consistent result. majority traders does not know how to perform well analysis. and thus, they are suffering losses and margin call. if we are make mistakes, or no proven strategy still, better if we are remain stick with training and learning.

Over confidence is the main reason why some end up losing in forex trading. They do analysis and making profit most of the time that they feel relax when they trade and they end up losing money in forex trading. So far I am happy that some how I achieve something good in forex trading and some how I want to maintain it also.

• 4 weeks later...

Overconfidence and also others bad emotion such as Revenging are something you should avoid, the bigger loss will await you if you cannot do that. Also too much believe of some scamming strategy isn't good for you. A proven strategy that has been using by many traders and still bring profit is better rather than those "holy grails".