Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Why you don’t want to be a doctor?

analyst75

I'm a second year medical student, and I just found out that I don't like medicine, I don't want to cure patients or whatever doctors do. I just don't find myself there, What can I do ? I'm more interested in physics and astronomy

Answer: Unless you are wealthy STAY IN! Look man, let me give you the hard knock, no BS truth about life that most people won’t tell you. That whole follow your dreams, and you’ll never work a day in your life blah blah blah is a bunch of garbage. The reality of life is that for the vast majority of human beings INCLUDING doctors, work sucks. You do it to pay the bills. Very few people are lucky enough to wake up most mornings and be happy to go to work and chances are physics and astronomy at a certain point will just become work for you, just like anything else.

Now since we have grown up and accepted that life and working generally suck, this is why you stay in medicine. The only thing worse than working is working a job that doesn’t pay you enough to enjoy life, vacation, travel have hobbies, provide for your family, give you bargaining power or negotiating leverage. I just finished my 2nd year and am in full blown board prep mode and my life is a level of misery that non-medical students/doctors simply cannot comprehend but it ends eventually, it gets better eventually. The income and freedom being a doctor gives you is worth it or at least its worth it since you are this far in. I’m not asking you to pretend to be happy or lie about being utterly miserable. I’m not asking you not to become jaded or bitter for a time in your life. I’m not asking you to pretend to care about patients. Medical training sucks the empathy out of most of us, and besides most of your patients will be ungrateful, rude, demanding jerks anyways. You smile, you tell little white lies, keep going and at the end of the day you collect that doctor pay check. Just get through it.

Now if you or your family are wealthy, screw medical school, get out of this miserable hell on earth. - R John, Quora

• 1 year later...