Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Why is it mandatory to provide Address and Phone while opening an Account?

yogeshwartyagi

With many forex brokers while opening new account we are asked to provide address and phone number.

I cannot understand why they made it mandatory, as we usually deposit funds using e-currency (often LR) and make withdrawal using same.

Also there are few brokers who want us to verify using phone and utility bill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think it's not necessary to give any address or phone nos ; according to my basic opinion it should be used for cheat or to make more security. But it's not require to get such e-currency . Though to many elite sites need this to make approval , where we have to submit our photo id + address proof.

The brokers should not care about your address and your phone number. Without those, they still can make good money from spreads of your trades. And I highly doublt that they will contact you through the address and phone number that you have provided. It's more costly than communication online. It's just sometimes you have to get verified for some high-end service they offered, uploading some documents. That's the time they will look at your address and phone number to see if they match with the documents.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

With many forex brokers while opening new account we are asked to provide address and phone number.

I cannot understand why they made it mandatory, as we usually deposit funds using e-currency (often LR) and make withdrawal using same.

Also there are few brokers who want us to verify using phone and utility bill.

I am also surprised with this development too.I called someone over this and he told me that the brokers are trying to prevent people from having more than one account with them.They even send a message to my phone whichbni love.I think they will be alerting me anytime money enter my account.

Well that may be the case as it will prevent one user to have more than one account but this verification of a things tends to be strict and boring to me. My uwcfx account is still unverified as i need to provide proof of adress and national id card which i dont have now.

For security reasons and money laundering protection. I too am sort of frustrated and confused with the need for photo ID, address, proof of address, etc. They do have their reasons for requiring those. It makes it just a little more difficult to get a Forex account. At the same time, it might actually be worth it.

My understanding is that it is a legal requirement first and foremost. I dont really mind the process but I must admit that it can be very boring indeed. If you have the documentation they why not submit it. As for preventing multiple accounts, I doubt that this can serve as a deterrent since there's always a way people find to get themselves out of such things.

Yes, I have seen most of the brokers or all of them are in need or must have address and phone number because it is for the legality as well as they are following the law or act of money laundering. Thus, it is also important to identify traders. Well, its not a big deal to give them the address as usual other sites require such.

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day we are going to be earning from these accounts. So I dont see any reason from my side that would stop me from submitting to these verification procedures where necessary as it is also to my benefit. I am doing this for myself as without this I may not be able to earn from there. Besides that, I have nothing to hide anyway.

I believe that most brokers will require you these documentation as part of the verification process for your account before making withdrawals for example. I suppose there have to be a paper trail that is there whenever money exchanges hands much as there would have been if it where offline.

• 4 months later...

I think the broker requested a phone number and our full address to prevent unwanted things that can harm themselves kiota itself and also from the broker because we also know many brokers are asking us a scan of ID and proof of address in order to complete our account of our trading can be verified and I think it's just for security and to prevent fraud and irregularities

• 11 months later...

Well, they're a business and no business in the world would allow someone to come in and deal wit them with no accurate identity right even if the scam rate is low. Its just a basic requirement and a way to do business. Lets just at yourself. Would you allow someone to put in money and withdraw it and trade without knowing who they really are and when they decided to file a complaint or lawsuit against your company to the feds for scamming them and you did not. How do you prove yourself? You have to be able prove yourself at least. This is a way for them to protect themselves from scams and loss. Even in forums, you get people like open ten multiple account and try to scam the owner so why not in a place where high money is involved at all. I guess in some country you will feel like its not needed but where I live, its a common thing to be ask for proof of ID, even to buy grocery. Just depending on where you're from. 

• 3 months later...

This is because Forex is always associated with things like money laundering or stuff like that. It means whomever is wishing to trade would have one thing at the back of his mind and that it is something relating to finance and then, a need to declare yourself by virtue of your identity.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't usually know why the brokers always require that we must submit this thing before our account will be verified but what I know is that they are going to approve it if you submit it. They are not giving out our document to any other person which is the important thing.

It's simple, most countries don't support or frown at financial misappropriations. That is why it is always good for the brokers to know who they are dealing with. Besides, most of the brokers that are regulated have some strict rules courtesy of the countries that they were regulated in and this has a corresponding adverse effect on the traders too.

I think it is important to know about the person who is going to be involve in a business with you. Now a days it is becoming important to identify persons to avoid funds to fall in the hand of anti social elements. To keep them away from investments it is necessary to have their identity check while opening an account.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, you can call it KYC or something and I believe the need for it is borne out of necessity for the traders to identify their selves when it comes to knowing or proving that they are in for some legitimate kind of business. It is something that is necessary so as to minimize a lot of things centering on inappropriation of funds.

• 2 weeks later...