Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

What is FOREX Scalping?

abdulla1

The basic idea behind scalping in the FOREX market is that you make several small trades during the course of the day. You find a currency pair that you like to trade, predict which way it is going to move and then place a trade. Instead of waiting around for a big trade like you do with other trading strategies, you just wait for a small movement in the direction you want and close the trade. You are aiming for a small profit target instead of a large one. This strategy usually takes place pretty fast. If you are trading during a high volume part of the trading day, the currency will usually move a few pips in a short period of time. Therefore, you may have your trade open for only 10 minutes or less. Sometimes it takes longer, but many times you can do a trade in only a few minutes.

Benefits of Scalping

Scalping can be a productive strategy if you know what you are doing. With this strategy, you are not waiting around to hit the big home run. You are just consistently hitting singles throughout the trading day. Even if the market does not move very much throughout the day, you can still net some consistent profits.

With this strategy, you can also protect your trading account better. Instead of taking a large trade with a big stop loss, you are taking several trades with a small stop loss. You are just hoping for a few pips, so you do not have to risk as much to have a successful trade as you would if you were taking big trades.

Disadvantages of Scalping

The big drawback to scalping is that in a short time frame, it is very difficult to predict the direction of the market accurately. The market jumps up and down a lot throughout the day. When you smooth out the data on a larger time frame, you can more easily see the direction of the trend.

Another disadvantage is that it is a very high-paced trading strategy. With other trading styles, it is not so crucial to get in and out at the precise second. You can be patient and trade when you want. With this method, you have to get into the market at a second's notice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree with part of the difficulty of predicting the price, only a fool scalper would do its scalping when at the trend move , of course it makes their accounts quickly get a margin call. please be aware that scalping is more suited to do when at sideways market

I do not agree with part of the difficulty of predicting the price, only a fool scalper would do its scalping when at the trend move , of course it makes their accounts quickly get a margin call. please be aware that scalping is more suited to do when at sideways market

actually i think scalping is always risky but its ture it better to when sideway market . but although it hears not so important but true for this we need very first spreed of internet because before for slow net i lost many my quick pips . so be careful if you preparing scalping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forex scalping is style of trading forex which can be chosen by one trader. In this style, you will use high lot size to earn profit in few pips but you can use low lot size too. The most important is you will target few pips only as profit.

but most of them using the large lot size to maximize the profit earned. and we also must be good at your preferred time when use scalping andthe important to avoid scalping when the trend is going

then it is good to use then during the market is unsure or sideways. i had problem before what strategy to use when the market is going sideways. so i will try to use this scalping for short trading. but i don' tknodw how minutes should trading be to be considered scalping. cause some one said it should not be more than five minutes. i odn't know if that is true though.

• 3 weeks later...

@Boniez

Sure. Scalping will work well if you did that in sideways and it will be bad if there is news or something which made condition of market became trending.

Using high lot size in scalping is okay as long as we could afford losses which we must face when we made mistakes to open positions.

• 4 weeks later...

@indieover

Scalping is very suitable to be play in sideway market because scalping method only taught to close position as fast as you can with small pips profit. But scalping method not as easy as it seen, it still need learning process to become a good scalper, because scalping have a bad risk and reward ratio and also need much time to monitoring price in front of the computer.

• 1 month later...

Scalping is profitable trading strategy but it's not for newbies, newbies must stay aways from this strategy because it can easily wiped out their account in short time. Choose right time to scalp, good entries, tight SL, proper money management and much more... That is all newbies usually lack off.

Scalping is profitable trading strategy but it's not for newbies, newbies must stay aways from this strategy because it can easily wiped out their account in short time. Choose right time to scalp, good entries, tight SL, proper money management and much more... That is all newbies usually lack off.

i scalper trader and for me to scalping i using 15 M TF and also i trading in volatile time, so to get 5 or more pips only need fast time. But like you said, scalping need carefull, because if market volatile and we use big lot, if make false maybe MC will come, so need read the market with carefully

• 2 weeks later...

Scalping is a risky way of trading in Forex where traders take their positions by analyzing the 1M and 5M charts and quitting their positions, once they have earn 4-5 pips from their position. The risk ratio in these trades are quite high as compared to the rewards we receive from such type of trades.

I dont think scalping really involve big risk, it rather limits risk, as you trade in booking small profit or losses

frequently. In scalping traders enter into trade for small profit so they book each move and stop losses are very tight.

Stop loss being tighter each trade has limited risk, and we repeat this limited risk several times - so things dont go out of control.

• 2 weeks later...

So forex scalping is within minutes to be done. Looks like that what i did because i always look in the 1M timeframe as i dont know that it is called scalping. I think that risk is really limited as we checked the movement every minute. :D

You are right - while scalping we dont look for big profit but we catchup every small movement, if i have to pay 3 pip spread and now if prices of my trade goes 6-9 pips up i would book it for 3 pips and then will try on the next trade, more profitable trades are key to succeed because in case of stoploss triggering we also has to afford the spread along with downside.

Scalping is a trading method through which a trader benefits from the smallest of price movement in a particular currency pair. For this type of trading, a trader needs to take a position through charts of 1M or 5M time frames and quit the position as soon as he achieves some green pips on his trade.

So it will really benefit and great advantage for newbies in forex that using this trading strategy. For me, i only have limited time to offer to have forex trading that is why i think that it is suitable to me. But for now, i got losses and dont have profit and need to learn more in forex scalping. :D

Scalping is not as easy of a trading strategy as it sounds. This strategy requires continuous focus on price movment and is a technical based trading stratedy where a members use technical indicators on shorter time frames to take their positions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you are right unbreakable it really cost much for scalp trader if spread is high, as we bet for few pips in each trade we cannot afford higher pips as in case of loss they are going to further increase the loss.

If you have low spread then what will be your stop loss? Because as you can see if you trade to trade your always in negative pips. Since theirs always a difference between the buy and the sell. So if you add stop loss then you will have a spread that is much and always higher than your spread in profit. For example if your using marketiva. theirs a two pips difference. So you need to earn 3 pips just to break even. While if its goes down one pips you already loss 4 pips.