Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

PAL NETWORK SCAM SO BE CAREFUL

Ben Thompson

Pal Network ICO is a scam, even though they do have a credential from previous ventures in simplifying insurance. I went to their pitch from Ethereum Singapore. After obersering this ICO's developments and hoping that they are not a scam, i cannot sit by anymore and not educate the public about experience with Pal Network and why it is a scam.

1) The CEO Val Yap has no idea what is the difference between a private chain and a public chain. 

2) The Tech team does not know what the PYPL tokens are for, they refer to its use case as staking in a public chain they would build in future BUT event validation (insurance events) signing can only be done by trusted partners. The constant switching between their positions for their tokens tells me this is an attempt at raising capital for their current business ventures, not for building a truly public blockchain

3) The consensus mechanism for their supposedly PoS chain is not announced, and I assume it is to do with their setup being trusted (aka dPoS). I have no idea what consensus they are intending to use: Ouroboros/Casper/Algorand. No technical details on how they plan to initiate consensus among nodes were given.

4) Upon pressing them on how they plan to implement the first phase of their chain, they gave the answer that they plan to setup a Plasma child chain on the Ethereum mainnet, which does not give me confidence considering Plasma chain like OmiseGO which has the resources and talents have yet launch their testnet (only MVP).

5) The team has no experience in working with public chain networks, only in private chains using Quorum and Hyperledger SDK.

6) Upon pressing on how privacy features will be adopted or in the roadmap, they have no idea what privacy mechanisms like zkSNARKs, zkSTARKs and ring signatures are. This is extremely important because in order for you to put a policy on the public chain, you will need a privacy feature! Whether, you are storing your policies offchain does NOT matter as the event trigger are on the blockchain!

7) Upon asking all these hard technical questions politely on telegram, I was dismissed with the constant "The team will get back to you" even though their token sale is just 2 weeks away. This is a red alert.

8) The last polite message I posted on their telegram to warn them the gravity of their situation triggered the deleting of all my posted messages to wipe the hard questions and a ban.

I have not touched on the non-technical parts of this project that makes this extremely shady like triggering FOMO among the telegram by flooding it with bounty hunters (telegram went from 1k to 10k in a week), website setup in panama and etc.

I am extremely disappointed as a Singaporean to see that a MAS Sandbox Graduate would carry out a scam in the crypto scene. This is a bad mark for the crypto project developments in Singapore

• 4 weeks later...
What? MAS has approval on pal network? What is MAS stand on Crypto. I think many people invested in PP due to MAS link as they always throw MAS in front of them. Especially during ICO. 

Is this case still pending? 

Is PolicyPal really on good standing with MAS and legit project?