Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Comparing Trading to Traditional Work

analyst75

When new traders move into the arena of trading they face several functional difficulties such as how do markets work, what are the subtle difference between markets and most importantly how does one design and implement a system that is some way logic and effective.

If someone manages to navigate this maze and become in some way successful at this game then they face another issue, one of identity. In the Western world our work defines us – the most common introductory question one is asked is – what do you do? This question whilst seemingly innocuous is actually very powerful within our society since it conveys what your background is, your education, life experience, who you might associate with and often where you might live. Even the way our names are arranged was originally a reflection of our occupation.

Hereditary surnames where uncommon in the Western world until around 13th or 14th century – they were called by names and they either reflected where you were from or your occupation. This is an obvious means of distinguishing between members of a growing population and these names are still with us today. It takes very little imagination to understand the etymology of names such as Mason, Smith or Baker.

It is not too much of a stretch to say that work defines us and contributes immensely to our sense of self-worth. The devastating effects on unemployment are testament to how much of purpose we derive from the notion of work. Without a sense of work or collective striving – which is largely what working in a group is we struggle with a lack of belonging. When you become a trader this traditional sense of work is lost to you as is some part of your old identity.

Traders therefore have to establish a new sense of authenticity about themselves based around what they now do – not what they used to do. This also has to somehow be communicated to others, although I have often found this to be less successful than I would have hoped. Family members will often simply not understand what you do or what you are hoping to do with your life since our roles are very nontraditional.

Intimately linked to this notion of work as a mechanism of generating a sense of self-worth is the allied idea of a work ethic. Various religious traditions have the notion of a work ethic. You are rewarded for the amount of effort you put into something, the notion being the harder you work the more you earn. In trading this is not true, in fact there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, the more you try and trade the less you often make. It is quite possible as a trader to work at a constant level but to see you payoff swing wildly throughout the year.

It is not uncommon to work at the same rate throughout the year and to have made little or no money for 11 months and then make it all in the last month of the year. This unfortunately is part of the game – if you have a methodology that is statistically sound what you do in a simplistic sense has little to do with what you earn. This is extremely difficult for many, particularly those who are weeded to both a notion of a work ethic and a regular pay cheque.

However, there is an upside in this. You can create whatever role for yourself that you want but this is difficult since many derive their sense of self from the reflection they see in others. If you can move beyond this then you can define your life as being whatever you want it to be. And like me when travelling internationally you can on immigration forms write your occupation as Rodeo Clown and no one is any the wiser.

Author: Chris Tate

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well trading is actually traditional work but it takes the early step to reform. You see that foreign exchange is exist during times of antiquity. Trader exchange money so they can buy goods from one country and sell it to their country. Since globalization people can see forex turn into more globalized trading by use the power of computer that connected. I still see forex way more better in most of aspect compared to traditional work.

• 3 weeks later...

Traditional work such as go to the offline office and then spend 8 hours there minus the lunch and any rest i think is what many people in the world want right now. It is pretty much stable compared to the forex which is risky and volatile, if you let your guard down your account crumbling and you will be back as beggar once again or at least become unemployment. I think i have enough said the bad thing because good thing has been done by our friend above.

Traditional work such as go to the offline office and then spend 8 hours there minus the lunch and any rest i think is what many people in the world want right now. It is pretty much stable compared to the forex which is risky and volatile, if you let your guard down your account crumbling and you will be back as beggar once again or at least become unemployment. I think i have enough said the bad thing because good thing has been done by our friend above.

But forex has bigger profit rather than that kind of job, i know that most of people in this world want that but hey, that is one of the most stable job where people can work and they even get nice income. You also forget that forex beside risky it also has bigger profit, you also forget that a trader can make forex stable enough for them.

But forex has bigger profit rather than that kind of job, i know that most of people in this world want that but hey, that is one of the most stable job where people can work and they even get nice income. You also forget that forex beside risky it also has bigger profit, you also forget that a trader can make forex stable enough for them.

So far I am still treat forex as additional income or part time business, I know forex still as risky business and result in forex trading is not always fixed in daily trading, loss also as part in trading, and all business has own risk level while forex included on high risk high return but also will depending with trader itself because as trader can manage the risk according their own calculation

Well that is good if you have thought like that at least you will avoid much more losses with that attitude, because we all here know how risky and how volatile our earning here. There are much unexpected event in forex rather than in other businesses, but comparing fx and traditional work like compared ale and orange, right?

Forex for sure has more advantages compared to traditional work/job. Forex in fact traditional job but since modern technology such as internet incorporated it makes forex more modern than typical traditional works/jobs you can find in underdevelop/developing countries, i think that forex still better to me because it is more suitable and i don't have to go anywhere.

It was traditional or conventional job but right now it is not, i can say more modern but still if you prefer the old way you can phone your broker to order but i wonder if they will give you a competitive price. I think comparison with traditional work should be ended because forex is modern and it is different from those typical traditional works we know.

But the core is the same even there are few difference here and there, it is basically just put the traditional work so called forex into more electronical thingy. I see right now forex and other traditional works aren't overlap and both could complement to each other without much problem.

But the core is the same even there are few difference here and there, it is basically just put the traditional work so called forex into more electronical thingy. I see right now forex and other traditional works aren't overlap and both could complement to each other without much problem.

Yes, because most of traders still working on their offline jobs and considering this business as their side job. So that they can get additional incomes from Forex itself.

Yes, because most of traders still working on their offline jobs and considering this business as their side job. So that they can get additional incomes from Forex itself.

Yes, even a housewife can do this also, as long as they want to learn more

LOL, as long as they want to learn? If all people just by learning could be successful i am sure we all will be, but forex have more than that it is tenacity and big capital. If you have both plus the willingness to keep learning you maybe successful but remember it is not a short journey, it takes few years with high tenacity.

• 3 months later...

I don’t think the comparison is exactly right because Forex is just too good and too big for it to be compared with anything else. I believe it will be sensible enough that we don’t do comparison and do what we like more. I can never consider anything to level Forex is, at least personally. I have been doing trading for last 8 years and I just love it in so many ways! I enjoy it even more thanks to broker like OctaFX which is special by all class and reasons with been regulated plus a worldwide recognized company servicing in over 170 countries in the world while also have got solid cash back where we get 50% on all trading orders which is even with the losing trades too.

• 1 month later...

One benefit forex trading is we can making transaction from home and we don't need going to the market place to buy currency, we only need sit down in front of computer then login account using platform then making transaction buy and sell currency that called as pair in forex

yes, it is one of the advantages of forex trading dimiik. another advantage is it easier to schedule our activities, and also more free time with family and friends. it is no wonder some people make forex as their main job. see a lot of benefits that we get from forex.

• 3 months later...

yes, it is one of the advantages of forex trading dimiik. another advantage is it easier to schedule our activities, and also more free time with family and friends. it is no wonder some people make forex as their main job. see a lot of benefits that we get from forex.

Yes we can making trading as part time job and we also can trading forex anytime, as long as we have spare time, hence forex trading is flexible business also, we can trade if we want to trade and if we want to stop also will not anyone restricted because we as account holder we will having full control with our capital

You can’t really compare it, as both are extremely separate to each other. Forex trading is a global business while things mentioned are not even business. I love doing trading and have been doing it for last 8 years, I feel it is extremely beneficial if we are determined, I find it all too easy through OctaFX who are perfect support especially for beginners whether it’s with their educational setup or if it’s with their demo contest, it’s all amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

In the forex we really can to be able to generate maximum profit even to exceed our expectations. But keep in mind also, in the forex it will never have an instant, all of them need process and hard work

Yes if compared with traditional work hence forex always become good business and easines on this business, we can trade at home, so we don't need going to place on market traditional but we can making transaction using computer and through electronic transaction

Really, in forex we can generate profits that match our expectations. But do not forget, we must really get through the process with hard work and earnest. Because in the forex it will never have an instant.

Might we can making triple money from forex trading only few day trading, but most important I think is we can making profit consistently, and if we already having profitable system trading hence forex business will become reliable business as source of income

Because consistent profit is a goal for some traders who want to make trding forex as their main job. Not easy to be able to generate profits consistently, karend i need a trader with the best management skills and skills. Therefore I always practice and learn to be able to reach it with Tickmill.

Not easy for sure but still not impossible, compared to the traditional work foreign exchange is more flexible even yeah not easy, it has flexible time hours you can trade tonight or tomorrow morning, all the decision is up to the trader also it offers various way to earn with not just one single way.

Yes forex business having benefit having flexible time, because market open 24 hours 5 day a week, different with traditional market which having working hours on certain time, and usually at night will closed, and also trading forex is simple we can making transaction on the market with single click