Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

whether you like positive or negative slippage?

Slippage is when an order is filled at a price that is different than the requested price.

Most conversations I hear regarding slippage tend to speak about it in a negative light, when in reality, this normal market occurrence can be a good thing for traders. when orders are sent out to be filled by a liquidity provider or bank, they are filled at the best available price whether the fill price is above or below the price requested.

To put this concept into a numerical example, let’s say we attempt to buy the EURUSD at the current market rate of 1.3650. When the order is filled, there are 3 potential outcomes.

Outcome #1 (No Slippage)

The order is submitted and the best available buy price being offered is 1.3650 (exactly what we requested), the order is then filled at 1.3650.

Outcome #2 (Positive Slippage)

The order is submitted and the best available buy price being offered suddenly changes to 1.3640 (10 pips below our requested price) while our order is executing, the order is then filled at this better price of 1.3640.

Outcome #3 (Negative Slippage)

The order is submitted and the best available buy price being offered suddenly changes to 1.3660 (10 pips above our requested price)while our order is executing, the order is then filled at this price of 1.3660.

Anytime we are filled at a different price, it is called slippage. I now get maximum profit with an average positive slippage in TICKMILL.

• Downvote 8

Its depends if we are talking about TP or SL or pending order getting filled. Of course if you can make more profit in TP because of slippage the better. But if you get SL because of the slippage then its bad as the main reason why you put SL is to minimize loses and end up losing more than you are expecting. if filling of pending order then its good also. Since you get better price.

Positive slippage for sure who does not want to get higher profit even they already satisfy with their TP that they set. For example i set my TP for 100 pips but because of slippage i got 200 pips, then that is a big profit for me. But what i am trying to stay away with is negative slippage. That is the worst.

• 1 month later...

Huh? Of course, Positive slippage, i agree with myregister who does not want to get higher profit even they already satisfy with their TP. You got more than what you want to get, people will just say fine or even said awesome if they have positive slippage, but negative slippage is what people want to avoid, it is too bad for them.

• 4 weeks later...

I also find it hillarious dude, positive slippage is what many traders want to get. Positive slippage means more profit for trader including me. I want to get in each of my trading a positive slippage but once again that is just my dream not less, it is impossible to get all positive slippage.

• 2 weeks later...

I also find it hillarious dude, positive slippage is what many traders want to get. Positive slippage means more profit for trader including me. I want to get in each of my trading a positive slippage but once again that is just my dream not less, it is impossible to get all positive slippage.

I don't reallly know why somoene would love negative slippage whether we buy first and then sell later or sell first and then buy later, all people will prefer positive slippage which means more profit fot them. As for me and it seems you i prefer positive one over negative one.

• 4 months later...

@sidejob: Positive slippage means more profit than usual and also more money into our pocket, if we trade with small lots maybe that won't be such a big issue but if we trade with bigger lot say one lot size or even ten lots? Damn even one pipette slippage if happening would be worth for us.

• 2 weeks later...

That is if you trade with ten lots? When you trade with smaller lot size you won't find this is so much useful, i mean pipette slippage and don't get me wrong i love positive slippage even just few pipette because means small profit to me. Even i still trade with micro lot but that is good enough to me.

• 6 months later...

Who hate positive slippage? No one hate it, that is what people called s fortunte trader who earn more because of the slippage. I hope that in future i will earn more with positive slippge, but this could be happened if the price has strong bullish/bearish tendency and the volatility is higher.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I don’t like any slippage at all. In fact, this is the reason I left IronFX, they were having huge slippage which I was not comfortable with, so I left them and I believe anyone working with broker that have issues with slippage, it will always affect them, so best is not to risk things with such companies and go only with one that we can rely upon.

You don't like slippage? Even positive slippage? I assume the reason you left ironfx is because the negative slippage not the positive one. How can someone leave the broker where they get more than where they lose more? Ironfx is another cases but if you want to discuss it there is another thread for it. Anyway i think negative slipage is harmful but positive one is really great.

Slippage would be benefical if the slippage is positive but if negative people will surely cry for it. @skyrock I am not sure if you ever encounter it or you just don't know that you ever encounter slippage but this must be quite common if you alredy trade for such a long period. So the underline is no matter if that is slippage or not people prefer more profit than more loss, right?

No, I don’t like any slippage at all. In fact, this is the reason I left IronFX, they were having huge slippage which I was not comfortable with, so I left them and I believe anyone working with broker that have issues with slippage, it will always affect them, so best is not to risk things with such companies and go only with one that we can rely upon.

I am sorry to hear that, I hope you’re not comfortable. We all hate losing like that, but I guess past can’t be brought back, so that’s why we should simply learn from it and in future go with brokers that’s regulated properly which will automatically reduce issues like slippage.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone would be feel sad or furious when they know that their account got negative slippage, i will and to be honest some traders easily complain about this issue but as long as this slippage is not often happen i will still accept it. It is different for positive slippage, i always hope that i could get positive slippage in each of my trading since that means more profit.

• 1 month later...

This is not the complain, you can see original poster shared his own view about this positive and negative slippage. I am sure people will prefer positive slippage more rather than negative slippage, also positive slippage means that we get more profit rather than negative slippage where people lose more than what their Stop Loss or Trailing Stop allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

No, there is really no way any sensible trader will like or accept slippage, as it’s just crazy stuff and I don’t think we are ever going to be relaxed with broker that got such issues. I am quite lucky that I don’t have to face such issues with OctaFX broker, as they are special by all means and that’s to do with them been a true ECN and that too an award winning one, so that’s why I love trading with them and is the big reason why I am fairly successful while with using their cTrader platform, it just adds up to my benefit and makes me trade even better with far more comfort, so that’s why I am able to work it out nicely and enjoy winning good profits.

I think if must chosen hence as trader will choose positive slipage, because giving benefit for trader to making profit, but might slipage occur because trend market on high volatile market and also depending with quality server broker, and we choose broker that according our experience is good broker that has good fast execution

• 2 weeks later...

I will never really wish to have this because I am more comfortable with myself and my ability. I find it seriously frustrating when I lose because of someone else and that’s why I never want to face such issues at all. I consider myself incredibly lucky that I trade with OctaFX broker which never have such issues for me to worry about. They are a worldwide recognized brokerage company with having 16 awards in just 4/5 years of their service, so that’s why I find it so good and this is what helps me a lot with the performance in big way since I can work with comfort knowing there is no manipulation or anything like that which will trouble me.

Positive slippage is a very nice condition where i am sure everyone want to do that, but i see that negative slippage is easier to achieve rather than positive slippage, i rarely get positive slippage in big amount, in small amount that is just few times but not as much as negative slippage i got. But yes if i must chose between those two i prefer positive slippage.

• 2 weeks later...

Slippages are those in which the market moves very fast and your order(s) like SL, TP or manual opening/modification/close of a trade does not happen to your set/expected price. I am with FreshForex broker who is a true ECN broker which has little to no slippages or re-quotes. So, you can expect your orders to be filled at your desired levels. This happens all the times and with a good broker like FreshForex you can minimize this.