Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

How can a broker earn money?

forexlover

Frankly speaking I don’t think this is something we should be really concern about, it’s not our job to know how a broker is going to earn, but of course one thing is crystal clear that honest brokers earn only from spread or swap, but scammers have multiple ways of earning. I am with a very honest and regulated broker Nova FX, it’s an outstanding company and they earn only from spread which is also stable around 1.5 pips and there is no hidden commission.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is clear enough for everyone here, right? Broker earn from comission or spreads or even both in few ECN for example. Some brokers like dealing desk broker prefer to earn from their trader's capital, and they want their trader to suffer more losses than more win.

• 1 month later...

I am new to forex and I don't get how a broker earn money through spread, can anyone tell me?

It is a markup dude, they simply earn from it because the price actually not as high as that, the price that retail traders get is actually higher but not so high, they earn from that so no matter happen they still win but remember not all broker can do that because they are basically a dealing desk broker.

Broker earn money from spread also they can earn money from other stream. One of the example is FXDD, they earn from spread and comission plus it also has proprietary technology where they "rent" to the other instuition. So with this alone we can conclude if a broker want they can earn not just from spreads.

• 3 weeks later...

Spread is actually their main income, but it is not just that because i think if broker only want to earn from spread they cannot expand, what i know other income source of broker is technology more like patented that rent to the other brokers, one of the broker who earn aside from comission or spread is FXDD.

Not just spread it is actually more complex, but if you see there are many types of broker such as DMA or ECN. ECN won't earn from spread actually they really earn from comission which imposed to a trader. Some broker just like what i said above earn also from their technology transfer like FXDD.

• 1 month later...

@gaban Spread is actually the main core of earning from many kind of brokers we can find out there, but with spread alone a broker surely cannot have much expansion or even having such a big growth. There are other ways to earn from brokers like selling their technology, or by provide some seminars maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it is not just from spreads, but yes mostly brokers earn money from spreads since this is the most effective yet efficient way for broker to reap money from their clients, if your broker earn from spreads they would love to see you always in profit. So it means more trading for them which means more profits.

Yes, it is not just from spread but there is what we called as buckesthop usually they are dealing desk broker, has its own internal market that try as the  best as they can to reflected the real forex market, but there's a conflict of interest between trader and broker and they earn not just from your spread but from your loss.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it is not just from spread but there is what we called as buckesthop usually they are dealing desk broker, has its own internal market that try as the  best as they can to reflected the real forex market, but there's a conflict of interest between trader and broker and they earn not just from your spread but from your loss.

I also ever heard it. That's why i think we should try to be better trader from time to time so we will get loss :D But i think it'snot easy thing to do.

Yes that is true dealing desk will earn when somebody lose and this is the only way they earn, since their market is their own market not from liquidity provider which we know as one of the reliable company to get the real market price feed, but i think it is better if someone want to earn from non dealing desk broker, even the comission is higher but when you lose they actually dislike because there is a chance you may stop trade later.

That is why it is better to think twice when want to join broker like dealing desk broker. The dealing desk broker also offers lower comission thanks to its broker made market they act as market maker create their own market for their own good, but most traders hate it since they can manipulate it.

• 3 months later...

Broker can earn money through spread and this is common knowledge for someone who trade for the first time or someone who search for the knowledge of foreign exchange for the first time. The other way for broker to earn money is by techonology renting or transfer which give tremendous income if manage properly.

Yes that is true dealing desk will earn when somebody lose and this is the only way they earn, since their market is their own market not from liquidity provider which we know as one of the reliable company to get the real market price feed, but i think it is better if someone want to earn from non dealing desk broker, even the comission is higher but when you lose they actually dislike because there is a chance you may stop trade later.

Yes broker dealing desk also like if trader losing money but actually as broker also will trying to keep their client being active on these broker because as broker will need trader and trader also need broker, and maybe broker non dealing desk will more preferable among trader than dealing desk broker

That is true the broker actually earn their own comission from spread mainly, this is why you will find that they still able to offers competitive rates because usually they have other side of income, some big brokers turn theirselves into liquidity provider if they have enough clientbase.