Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Mirror Mirror

lety

Mirror Mirror has its fun moments, most of which come from Armie Hammer getting goofy as a handsome Prince who thinks way too highly of himself, Julia Roberts camping it up as a beauty-obsessed evil Queen, and the combined work of Jordan Prentice, Joey Gnoffo, Sebastian Saraceno, Martin Klebba, Mark Povinelli, Ronald Lee Clark, and Danny Woodburn as the seven dwarfs (none of whom are named Dopey). Roberts is the Queen of Camp in Mirror Mirror, with the Oscar winner embracing the part of Snow White's evil stepmom with a real appreciation for the pure wicked silliness of the character. The acting elevates this film from a totally forgettable goofball comedy to a fairy tale adventure that sporadically entertains.

The Story

Writers Marc Klein and Jason Keller use the original fairy tale as the jumping off point for a story that lets Snow White take more control of her destiny. Mirror Mirror has all the basics: a King who's disappeared leaving his young daughter with snow white skin and raven hair in the care of an evil stepmother. The Queen is jealous of Snow White's beauty and doesn't want her distracting the handsome Prince, so she sends her off to be killed by a henchman in the forest surrounding the kingdom. The Queen's servant can't go through with the murder and leaves Snow to fend for herself in the terrifying forest that's home to a vicious beast (created via disappointingly less than perfect CGI).

Rescued by seven dwarfs, Mirror Mirror's version of the story finds the dwarfs (who have resorted to robbing anyone who travels through the forest, including the Prince and the Queen's tax collector) teaching the young beauty how to handle a knife and a sword. Snow becomes a member of the dwarfs' little band of thieves, though only after making them pledge they will return the gold they've stolen from the Queen to the poor townsfolk who have suffered greatly since the Queen has taken over the country following the King's disappearance.

Can Snow White save the kingdom? Will she win the love of the handsome Prince? And what will become of the narcissistic Queen? Really? You need to ask these questions?

• 8 months later...

I watched this movie with my student last year... and yes! I really liked it! Well, some say that the story is not good because of the changes like when the prince is actually about to marry the evil queen and forget about Snow White. However, for me, it's great since I'm a little bored with the typical story. :) I also like the scene when Snow White and that prince fight using their swords... Though Mirror, Mirror has some dull moments, I totally enjoyed the movie and I laughed a lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...