Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

Risk Management in Forex Trading.

Risk Management in Forex Trading

risk.jpg

Risk Management in Forex Trading is a term that is very important in trading world and at the same time is a major point which mostly gets out of focus when traders start real time trading. The first and foremost difference in trading a demo and a real account is the human psychology. The point is here that how to overcome this problem?

The best way to go is to practice hard and I strongly recommend to practice for at least 3 months as this time period will cover up learning the different time frames as well during that time; a trader can experience all effects of fundamental news and attributes.

Devise and test a risk management strategy over that period without changing it, no matter it is not providing any profits, just keep using it and analyze your strategy after 3 months of so that you can average out all the good and bad runs you had during that time.

Now coming to other part, i.e., devising a good risk management strategy. Originally the market used to not be for the small traders as brokers only allow standard lots or micro lots. Therefore if you are trading a small account, you are risking too much for a trade. In the recent years, there are introduction of new brokers that allows you to trade even 1 unit. This way, you can still apply the same proper risk management strategy or else your account will be blown before you know it.

To devise a risk management plan, first of all figure out what is the risk percentage per trade? For example, how much percentage of the account can be lost in the worst case of a trade?

Usually good traders make 1-2% as a mark to risk per trade. Next you have to set a percentage % of how much can you lose in your forex account (your maximum drawdown). For example, if you lose 30% – 50% of your account using a system. You should stop trading altogether and reflect back on your system. Find out why is it not working and where to tweak it to improve your future trades.

Once the maximum drawdown and the risk percentage per trade is defined, Always keep your stop fix and don’t extend it while you are winning trades.

I have seen traders extending their stops in hope that the market will come back and they won’t have to face loss in that trade. Believe me, often I have seen traders getting them into this situation and loosing out all account. There will also be times when you will be just stopped out and market will reverse, even in those cases don’t get disappointed and keep following the same strategy.

Therefore, even before any one starts trading, one has to devise a proper risk management. With a proper risk management system and combined with a good trading system, you are on the right track to success in forex trading.

Ezekiel Chew

Asia #1 Forex Mentor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Then that learning should be on the demo account and the trader should practice how to trade with a particular risk management technique. It is important that a trader particularly the new forex trader also know how leverage can impact their trading and how it relates to risk management.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

When talking about risk management dont forget to mention and include stoploss and take profit level this are some of the few things which can prevent your trade from you been loss easyly so its not that hard to get in touch with your strategy but rather we need to apply our skills properly and trade with small lots just to improve our profit .

• 5 weeks later...

This kind of article, we can find so many, hundreds and even thousands in the internet. Everyone is trying to teach and claim the best to control and manage the risk. But, everything is back on ourself here. How patient we are, and we also have to be very discipline on doing the risk management

Risk management is very important in forex trading and please try to write some thing new in the forum but do not copy past articles from other sources . Any ways as we all know the risk is very common is forex so every trader will be managing to minimize the risk level but taking some steps like stop loss .. etc .

• 1 month later...

For me, the best risk management is to keep on learning. There will be less risks if you will come to know the market and the mindset of most traders.

Yes, we have to keep learning and knowing the market situation every single day here. So, in this way here, we can understand what mistake we do. And which part when the market has bigger risk. And how if we are in the minus position already here. So, this will run better for us here

Well, you meant on every trade we will place we will going to have the risk of 5-20%. Actually, this is a good way to start a risk management to think that we can't double our trading capital but to slowly have it by having the small percentage to make profits and therefore we are going to make some earnings and know how lessen the risks and handle the trading accounts.

We know that every business have its own risk and risk management is very much important for the traders to plan and with out that it is not at all safe to have a profitable trade . a trader should minimize the risk factor in forex so that it can help him to gain good profits with less risk .

Many professional traders advice newbies to invest 5-20% of the total money in their fx account to trade so as not to risk losing all their investment in a trade. Basically an amount that you can bear the risk should be traded per trade. Doing this will to manage risk.

thanks for sharing here dude, that amount can be a standard for some new traders who want to set how much they can handle the risk, but i am sure that every pro and some mediocre traders have their own risk managament, and with have good forex risk management, we will raise more chance to earn profit and less chance to loss from each trading

@trickster: the point in risk management is actually profit maximizing and loss minimizing strategies. This is why newbies may not have or need to higher risks. Loss could dampen newbies' spirit, but if there's consistent profits (even at lower rate) it energizes him/her. But pros know their ways.

yeah with profit, it will make not only newbie but also pro, to raise their spirit, but i think that pro will be more easier to handle their emotion rather than newbie, sometimes they just overconfident, and as long as they can maximize the profit, it means that they already do right risk management.

I think its better to make use of the basic strategies like take profit and stop loss . this trading tools help traders to minimize the risk to some extent and as well it is always preferable to Not invest all our money with forex , we can invest some and keep the rest so that if you loss also we can start with another trade .

This is indeed the most common way to use or part of our risk management. Having take profit and stop loss in every trade we have particularly if we don't usually have trading or monitor our trades or we usually have many trades executed simultaneously and we can't look at them one at a time. Therefore, this should be always considered in our trading.

Forex is a potential market with extreme possibilities. However it can be very risky and bad experience if we do not care to learn about it before jumping into Forex trading. Without knowledge Forex trading is simply gambling. To earn from it for a long time we need to become fit to enter the Forex market by learning Forex and practicing using a demo account.

Risk management is more detailed and more complicated to study than money management. Since money management is about minimizing exposure of our capital so that we going to have as many trade possible even if we are losing. Risk management on other hands involve lots of things. Like the computation of lot size the volatility of each pairs that you want to trade. The leverage and the free margin and so on. In risk management its almost like you are doing balancing act.

Forex is a potential market with extreme possibilities. However it can be very risky and bad experience if we do not care to learn about it before jumping into Forex trading. Without knowledge Forex trading is simply gambling. To earn from it for a long time we need to become fit to enter the Forex market by learning Forex and practicing using a demo account.

and one thing that people should learn is risk management, how to handle this high risk that forex give to us for every trade that we do. with learn more about risk management in forex it will help us to become a better trader and for sure it will give us a greater chance to be a good trader in future, also when we trade i think we can minimize the risk in every trading activity

• 5 years later...

There is no doubt on the infrastructural riskiness of forex market. Forex being an over the counter market which facilitates currency exchange opportunities on a global platform. But there are many risk factors closely related to forex trading. So; traders need to adopt proper risk management modules to keep themselves protected. My broker ForexChief and its expert team are always there for me and I am taking guidelines of it for taking proper decisions and managing my risks carefully.