Exchange Blog Cryptocurrency Blog

All Pips

SEO - What Not To Do To Optimize Your Site

Every site which wants to attract more traffic needs to rise in the Search Engine Rankings Pages (SERPS) and once upon a time, when such things were in their infancy, you could buy thousands of backlinks to any sites and yours would rise in the SERPS. However, this doesn't work in these (slightly) more sophisticated times. Google's Panda exercises caught a lot of sites off-guard and even some of the large sites which have content which can be used on other sites as long as there is a backlink to the original site and author, had some problems because in some cases of their over-reliance on ads on their pages which almost obscured the articles and which certainly detracted from the content. What you need to have are backlinks from reputable sites in your niche or which are relevant to your content. For example, if your site is selling silver jewellery, there is little point in you having a backlink form a firm that specializes in hunting and fishing equipment, while having backlinks from a site which sells polished and unpolished stones for jewellery making would be relevant.

Google is increasingly policing sites and penalizing ones which do not come up to its ever-increasingly higher standards. If content on a site is stuffed with keywords, it will be penalized. Keyword density should be 2 % of the total number of content words, so if your product description is of 200 words, then you can have a key word or phrase in it four times. Your description should be written in clear, concise language and make sense to the visitor. If you have a lot of satisfied customers, get the Google + button as this seems to help in SEO. (The Facebook Like button is not counted in Google's page ratings system.)

Don't have ads on your site that obscure the content; lightboxes are irritating and will ultimately drive traffic away from your site, as will constant reminders that plug-ins are necessary to read content. Visitors want to find the information they are looking for without being hassled to sign up for membership with forms that completely block out content. Think about your own experiences on the Net when advertising on your site, and try to avoid those things that annoy you when you are in other sites.

Don't ignore social media marketing, or mobile marketing, as with the growth in sales of smartphones and tablets, this could be the way for online marketing to go in the near future.

Don't go madly around the Net leaving comments wherever you can in order to get backlinks. How many people read comments on blogs, compared to how many people go to wiki or Yahoo! answers for information? Answer questions from your niche on sites such as these and get viable and useful backlinks as you leave your URL on these very visible sites, so have high profile, worth-having backlinks.

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself if you can climb the SERPS on your own or whether you need expert help. It depends how much you want to succeed and how much money you have to spare. If you can afford the money and you know that you have a good site and products that can sell well, then perhaps it's time to approach an SEO service and discuss your needs with them. There are many good ones around, so don't just pay for the cheapest service- it won't be the best.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Checking your keyword density is a great idea because you dont want to get penalised by Google in the process. Some people tend to think that repeating the keyword as many times as possible will work to their advantage and this results in keyword stuffing.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SEO is an effective strategy that can help you optimize your website and generate more web traffic and the best SEO strategy that you can use is link building strategy such as blog commenting and forum posting.

ya i agree..

There are several such SEO tools increase traffic such as Article submission,Social networking,Affiliate marketing etc..They play a vital role in improving traffic.But these all will take little time .If you want to increase your page rank even more faster,paid SEO service is the best one.I used the SEV(Search Engine Visibility) service available in TheWebPole.com .It will promote your site by submitting it in 100 search engines,directories and provide suggested keywords.Hence the website and page rank increases soon.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi! That is a rather refreshing approach in giving SEO tips since usually, people tell you about what you should do. I do have a question about one f your points. What kinds of advertisement obscure the content? I have ads i my blog and I would love to know if they obscure content or if they are causing any problems. Do you mean obscure literally or is it about technicalities? Also, thank you for your Yahoo! Answers suggestion. I will keep that in mind.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...